Monday, April 28, 2008

A three cake week

I tell people that I don't like cake. It's almost true: I don't like most cakes. The texture just really doesn't do anything for me, and I'd rather eat, say, a chunk of chocolate rather than a chocolate cake any day. But i do like some cakes - really dense cakes, coffee cakes, or cakes that are practically pies or tarts (like every cake you find in Germany). Someday we really will blog about something other than cake and beer, probably.

This week in cakes:

The last piece of the vegan coffee cake I made last weekend. It's from The Vegan Family Cookbook by Brian Mccarthy, but I changed it a little bit. This has half whole wheat flour and less sugar. So it's healthy, right?


Doing homework at my favorite coffee shop in Freiburg. Every day they have a different cake and the slices are 2 Euros. This is a custardy rhubarb cake, it was delicious. There was a flea market going on in the alley right behind the cafe. The table I was at was next to some open doors, and I was essentially right behind one of the booths. I eyed a burgundy teacup with white flowers the whole time, but I managed to not buy it.


It was my friend Dan's birthday on Saturday, so some friends and I got together and baked a cake. It was a team effort: me, Fiona, Gary, and Dr. Oetker. The cream cheese frosting was from scratch, though, and it was delicious.


So much for not liking cake.

No comments: