Monday, May 26, 2008
Tiki, tiki, burning bright
At 9AM on the morning of my roommate Liza's golden birthday (actually the day before), she told me she wanted to throw a tiki party.
This was an extremely good decision.
Surprisingly enough, you can get everything you need for a tiki party in Grinnell, IA (without shopping at Wal-Mart).
Everything you need for a tiki party:
- Great, large wooden deck off the kitchen
- Big back yard
- Unripe mango (or was it a cactus pear?)
- Tiki torches and tiki oil
- Strawberries to add to the jug of Carlo Rossi left behind by friends
- Hint of Lime tortilla chips & mango salsa
- Rainbow sherbet to add to other drinks
- The Ashley (one of Liza's excellent concoctions, made even better by sherbet)
- A beer-run to kum & go halfway through the night (sign of a successful party)
The photos probably speak for themselves:
On the realization I had nothing appropriately "tiki" to wear, I made a new skirt for the occasion from a dress I never wore.
Strawberries & jug wine... It must be just about the end of college.
My camera takes terrible pictures after sunset, but we had quite the spread. Here's part of it:
Believe it or not, this was my first experience cutting pineapple.
An Ashley with sherbet...
A great early summer party, if blurry.
The night definitely made me think of my first party in this house, Mal's and my housewarming, almost a year ago now (see it here).